You know the fact that human being is a species who has an express ‘Thinking’ mind. That is how humans are different from other living beings on Earth. The mental faculty plays an important role in our life, provided it works efficiently. The word ‘Efficiently’ being used to lay stress on “Productive Thinking”. Productive thinking needs deliberate cultivation like when a seed is sown in a fertile land, it yields better than the same seed sown in less fertile land. Therefore same seed delivers different results based on the land. Similarly, in case of human beings land is ‘Mind’ and their thoughts are ‘Seeds’. Fertile mind will yield better thoughts thus better results.
What is Positive Thinking
Positive thinking is an approach which reflects in our day to day working, as thinking is a reflection of our attitude, attitude develops approach and approach leads to actions.
Positive thinking doesn’t mean to ignore life’s less pleasant things by keeping your head in the sand. It just means that you approach unpleasantness in a more positive and productive way. You always think the best is going to happen, not the worst.
Positive thinking often starts with self-talk. Self-talk is the endless stream of unspoken thoughts that run through your head. These automatic thoughts can be positive or negative. Some of your self-talk comes from logic and reason. Other self-talk may arise from misconceptions that you create because of lack of information.
One may ask, “How to know he thinks Positive or not?”. The litmus test for this to know is: “He always looks for solutions“. Any individual showcases his emotions and feelings through his actions, and so by observing his actions, we can easily determine whether he is thinking Positive or not.
Positive thinking leads to positive behaviour. It means that the positive thinking person is:
- Optimistic: always sees a silver lining ray in the darkness
- Not getting disturbed on trivial issues
- Always smiling
- Always hopeful
- Unruffled with problems
- Possessing helping attitude
- Without any prejudice
- Always Fearless
- A Decision Maker
- Looking for solution
- Generally happy
- Likes challenges
- Distress is not reflected on face
- Ready to help others
- An innovative thinker
- Appreciates others
- Enhances Tolerance
- No hatred coefficient
- Enhanced forgiveness zone
- Enhances employability.
- Develops sprouts of thoughts
- Does multitasking
- An inspiration to others
- Developed servitude
- Better at time management
- Enhanced thinking capacity and capability
- Sees strength than weakness of his associates
Importance Of Positive Thinking
An individual is determined by his thoughts, and how he applies those thoughts to process his own development, fulfil his needs, and to prove his worth as an individual to himself rather than to others. The sole beneficiary from positive thinking is one-self. Positive thinking plays various important roles in one’s life.
Positive Impact on Health
Researchers have explored many effects and optimism on health. One should practice positive thinking because it has a great impact on our mental, emotional and physical health. Positive thinking is important for mental health because it eliminates any form of paranoia and negative thoughts that can cause depression and stress.
It’s also thought that positive and optimistic people tend to live healthier lifestyles — they get more physical activity, follow a healthier diet, and don’t smoke or drink alcohol in excess.
A Better Career
Positive thinking implies good and healthy mental attitude. Being a positive career individual can contribute a lot in your work performance and career goals.
Work is a major contributing factor to stress in an individual. In the workplace, we encounter many challenges and issues from our workloads, fellow work colleagues, and even with our own performance. Employees who have negative mental attitude toward work and career are less likely to succeed or achieve their goals.
Taking challenges positively in the workplace can bring you outstanding results, develop good relationships with colleagues, and even take you notches up the corporate ladder.
If you see things in a positive approach, even the people around you will admire and appreciate the way you perceive things in the office. Positive thinking brings about a better perspective toward work and a better career for you.
Definitely, positive mental attitude has a positive effect on your level of performance. Because you do not think of yourself as mediocre and incompetent, your work productivity would also increase. You tend to be able to complete more tasks than you used to. The quality of work can even improve and get better every time.
Building and Developing Relationships
Another reason, why you should adopt a positive way of thinking is the effect it has on relations with people. People tend to gravitate and to like positive people, and to keep a distance from negative people.
Positive people bring joy, happiness and uplifting energy, and are fun to be around. They bring light and joy, and energize their environment.
Positive Thinking Vs Negative Thinking
Positive thinking is nothing but a perception. A very common test is how you see the glass of water. You may say it is half filled or half empty, though it is a very common test but still very effective in the initial stage of tests of teenagers. Now, when asked a question that is it possible to fill the glass with milk, then you will say yes and now the half empty space becomes the strength of the glass as it has seen an opportunity to fill the milk in the glass. In both the cases one sees the same empty space, but approach is different, it is called ‘Positive Approach’ as you see the strength of a person, place, thing or condition.
We need to orient our mind to perceive the strength of anything knowing well what negatives are. Idea is not that you don’t see negative at all but to perceive the strength of anything knowing well what negatives are. Idea is to perceive the totality but presume the positive aspect of the same.
A person wants to become positive thinker and he also wants himself to take a plunge into positivity, however the issue is that one feels that the circumstances makes him to be negative. But factually it is not correct, as for the same circumstances reactions of different person are different. Had it been otherwise everyone would have reacted in the same way.
Thus the myth that circumstances drive us, has to be erased out of mind and one has to control one’s mental attitude so that the state of mind as well as of thinking remains in one’s command and control.
Mental Positivism – A Philosophical Theory
It is told that a successful person is that who bounce back faster than others in case of any failure. This phenomenon of bouncing back is related to the mental positivism. A mentally positive person bounce faster than a negative person. In the scientific terms, we have learnt magnetism in class 12th. It can be co-related with the mental positivism.
In Mahabharata, Arjun was in the middle of the battle field and Lord Krishna was motivating him to fight. He was in di-positivism mode. Krishna was the positive magnetic field; he was finding it difficult but the positivity of Krishna overcame negative mental property of Arjun at that time.
After a lot of persuasion, questions-answers between him and lord Krishna, his mental frame became ferro-positive and then it’s a history. Think about a situation if the mental state of Arjun could not have changed. In order to fight the battle of life positivity required and negative minded people already lose the battle before it starts.
- Push-Pull theory of positive and negative thoughts: It means that positive thoughts push the person to move ahead when he has stopped from the situation, don’t allow him to move ahead on account of fear, risk etc.
- Positivity reduces the internal resistance
- Negative thoughts develop Mental Corrosion
- Thinking is a directional (vector) parameter.
Maturity Model Of Positivity
The mind is the ultimate driver of the human being, which contributes in the development of the personality. The first meeting with a person will give you the exact idea about the type of person it is, reflecting by his or her Positive Maturity. Based on the experiences, people can be classified as the following category according to the maturity levels of Positivity:
- Moderate Positive
- Super Positive
You Are A Product Of Your Thinking
Now-a-days every product/thought needs to be sold. Before adopting any idea, three questions come to the mind automatically:
- Why I should become a positive thinker
- What are advantages of positive thinking
- How to become positive thinker
Based on experiences and literature, reasons to become positive thinker are:
- To cope with stress in day to day life
- To get strength to face the challenge in life
- To have happiness in life
- To have growth in life
- To have an improvement in mental state
- To have improvement in health condition
- To develop self-healing process.
It is the first step towards self-transformation, above reasons are sufficient to drive you from negative thinking to positive one. It should be clear in mind that in order to succeed and to face any challenge, one must have Positive Attitude/Thinking. Otherwise one may find it very difficult in grabbing success because the mind-body is not in sync. Body wants to go ahead but the mental attitude is dragging back or vice-versa. Because of this reason only, many of the people are not able to achieve success and half-hearted approach and they leave the work in between and ultimately they are termed as failures. It now makes sense that for achieving success, mind-body synchronisation must be there i.e. both needs to be positive.
Advantages Of Positive Thinking
Its advantages must be understood so that its adaptability becomes easier. Based on my research, following are the dividend of Positive thinking or Positive mindset:
- Increase in optimism and happiness
- Focus on ‘can’ instead of typical attitude of ‘cannot’
- Increase in determination, confidence and persistence
- Germinates sprouts of healthy thoughts
- Enhances internal energy
- Enhances free space in mind-20
- Enhancement in leadership skill, thus more acceptability in society
- Helps in migrating from uncertainty to certainty-28
- Reduction in prejudice level
- Improvement in health
- Improvement in performance
- Develops capability of learn and unlearn.
Putting Positive Thinking Into Practice
Positive Thinking And Success Statistics
Positive thinking plays a big part in determining whether you will be successful and this is how I’d chart their relation:
The more positive you are the more likely your are to succeed. Success is not only determined by the kind of attitude you have but also by how bad you want it (which is to be followed by a plan of action).
If we solely depend on positivity, we’ll likely fall into the ‘I think I might’ to ‘I think I can’ spectrum. Therefore, to increase our chances of success, we’ll need to rise to the next level. When you’re at ‘I can’ or ‘I will’, a natural question that follows will be, “How can I make this work?” and you will be on your way to writing your own blueprint for success.
Ways To Develop Positive Thinking
- Identify areas to change. If you want to become more optimistic and engage in more positive thinking, first identify areas of your life that you usually think negatively about, whether it’s work, your daily commute or a relationship. You can start small by focusing on one area to approach in a more positive way.
- Check yourself. Periodically during the day, stop and evaluate what you’re thinking. If you find that your thoughts are mainly negative, try to find a way to put a positive spin on them.
- Be open to humor. Give yourself permission to smile or laugh, especially during difficult times. Seek humor in everyday happenings. When you can laugh at life, you feel less stressed.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle. Aim to exercise for about 30 minutes on most days of the week. You can also break it up into 10-minute chunks of time during the day. Exercise can positively affect mood and reduce stress. Follow a healthy diet to fuel your mind and body. And learn techniques to manage stress.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Make sure those in your life are positive, supportive people you can depend on to give helpful advice and feedback. Negative people may increase your stress level and make you doubt your ability to manage stress in healthy ways.
- Practice positive self-talk. Start by following one simple rule: Don’t say anything to yourself that you wouldn’t say to anyone else. Be gentle and encouraging with yourself. If a negative thought enters your mind, evaluate it rationally and respond with affirmations of what is good about you. Think about things you’re thankful for in your life.
Meditation For Positive Thinking
“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Above quote of Mahatma Gandhi expounds everything about persistence, one may realise it is difficult in the beginning to achieve something but with continuous practice and efforts, gradually it becomes a habit.
I am sharing a video from youtube which can help you to gain the ability to think positive by meditating. This video has beautifully 10-minutes guided meditation, which will help you to clear negative thoughts that might have been blocking you t focus on positive aspects of your life. You just need to put your earphones on and get started with.
Before you begin, find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed for the next 10 minutes. Second, find a comfortable position to sit – it can be in a chair, crossed legged or on your knees, or lay down and when you’re ready, press play. Once the meditation session is over, you can share your experience with all of us by commenting below.
If we take the road of positive thinking, whether from others, or by thinking positively about our goals ourselves, it will lead to success. However, if we listen to negative comments of others, or our own negative self-talk in our minds, we may become discouraged, give up and not reach our goals.
Thanks To My Research Contributors: Mayo Clinic, Exforsys Inc, Purpose Fairy, Nie, Growing Happiness and Plus Approach